Week that was

Week that was

Man shot and killed on Dawson Street

Early Sunday morning, at approximately 1:45 a.m., Pawtucket Police responded to a call of shots fired or fireworks at 112 Dawson St. When they arrived at that address, they discovered a 41-year-old male, Jeffrey Lebrun, who had been shot to death. Lebrun had been shot twice, according to police.

Neighborhood residents report seeing two male suspects fleeing the residence after the shots were fired.

The suspects' description is vague because of the darkness.

ABC6 reported on Sunday that Lebrun was previously the target of a home invasion by two masked men.

The victim was stabbed with a knife in May.

His assailants tried to steal marijuana from him, according to ABC6. Lebrun was a medical marijuana patient, neighbors told the TV station, and was allowed to grow and use marijuana.

Police believe Lebrun was targeted and that Sunday's murder was not a random act of violence, said police spokesman Maj. Arthur Martins.

Additional information will be shared once it has been developed.

Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call detectives at 401-727-9100.

Bullet-riddled body found off Blackstone

Police are trying to identify an apparent murder victim discovered off Blackstone Street on Monday at about 3:30 p.m.

Police were notified that a passerby had discovered a human body in a wooded area. The passerby, who was walking his dog when the dog noticed the body, notified police.

Police say the victim appeared to have been shot several times. There was no identification on him.

The Office of the Rhode Island Medical Examiner is conducting an autopsy to determine both who the man was and how he died.

Two men sentenced in heroin trafficking conspiracy

Luis Marte, 34, of Pawtucket, and Luis Fernandez, 26, of Providence, were sentenced to lengthy federal prison terms on Tuesday, July 23, for conspiring to possess and possessing with the intent to distribute more than 800 grams of heroin, according to U.S. Attorney Peter Neronha and Cranston Police Chief Marco Palombo Jr.

U.S. District Court Chief Judge Mary Lisi sentenced Marte to 70 months imprisonment to be followed by five years of supervised release. Fernandez was sentenced by Chief Judge Mary Lisi to 57 months imprisonment to be followed by five years supervised release.

In April, Marte and Fernandez pleaded guilty as charged in a federal indictment to one count each of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute 100 grams or more of heroin and possession with the intent to distribute 100 grams or more of heroin.

The defendants have been detained since their arrest.