Woonsocket man dies in early morning fire

Woonsocket man dies in early morning fire

WOONSOCKET - An early morning fire said to be started by a cigarette took the life of a tenant believed to be in his late 40's on Wednesday, Aug. 21.

Jim Ferrio was reportedly living on the second floor of 40 Dulude Ave. with the Desjarlais family, but had gone to visit an upstairs neighbor in the triple-decker building when the accident took place. Residents say Ferrio mistakenly set fire to a chair with his cigarette, then took the burning furniture outside to an enclosed porch.

The resulting three-alarm blaze ravaged the building, collapsing the roof and leaving extensive damage on the second and third floors. City firefighters were called to the scene around 1 a.m. and had the fire under control by 4 a.m. with the help of mutual aid from Cumberland and Blackstone.

According to reports by The Call, Ferrio worked part-time in construction and a trash-hauling service run by the Desjarlais family.