Thurber installed as pastor at St. Teresa Church

Thurber installed as pastor at St. Teresa Church

PAWTUCKET - The Rev. Thomas J. Tobin, Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Providence, presided over the installation Mass of the Rev. David G. Thurber at St. Teresa Church on Sunday.

Thurber, a native of Pawtucket, began studying for the priesthood at the Seminary of Our Lady of Providence while attending Providence College, receiving a bachelor's degree in philosophy. He completed his seminary training at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas, Rome, receiving a master's of theology degree.

Following his ordination in 2008 by Tobin, Thurber was then assigned as assistant pastor of St. Mary's in Cranston, where he served for five years.

St. Teresa Parish was established in 1929 by Bishop William A. Hickey due to the overcrowding at St. Joseph, a nearby church in the Darlington section of Pawtucket. The first Sunday Mass was celebrated at the What Cheer Golf Club and later moved to the Italian Dramatic Club until a church could be built. In 1930, a church basement was erected and nine years later construction on the upper church was completed to meet the growing needs of the parish. Today, more than 5,000 parishioners worship in the St. Teresa faith community.