Scituate boys soccer team advances with stunner

Scituate boys soccer team advances with stunner

In a thriller, the Scituate High School boys soccer team snatched a 3-2 overtime victory in their Division III preliminary round state playoff game last week against Tiverton, and followed that up by stunning second-seeded North Smithfield, 2-1.

Joe Deberadis was the Spartan hero against North Smithfield, scoring the game-winner with only four minutes remaining in regulation of the quarterfinal game.

North Smithfield broke out on top in the first half when Adam Destefano found the back of the net, but Scituate's Chris Pierce matched that score and it was 1-1 at half and remained that way until the Deberadis heroics.

In the Tiverton match, the Tigers, a semifinalist last season, fell behind 2-1 at half thanks to a Spartan score by captains Christopher Pierce and John Sherman.

But Scituate could not hold the lead and a Tom Murray goal tied the game, forcing overtime.

About five minutes into the extra session, the Spartan captains teamed up once again. This time, Pierce took a centering pass from Sherman and banged it home, giving Scituate the win. The Spartans were slated to play the third-seeded Prout School in the semifinals.

The season ended in the preliminary round for the Smithfield High School boys, who dropped a narrow 2-1 decision to Moses Brown. Smithfield was the 11th seed, and Moses Brown the sixth seed.

Moses Brown broke out on top 1-0 in the first half on a Cory Lewis goal.

The Sentinels' Nick Paiva tied it up with a second-half score, but near game's end, Julio Barroso took a pass from William Atkinson and fired one into the Smithfield net for the winning score.

Ponaganset High had to go to a shoot out to down Burrillville. The teams were tied 1-1 at the end of regulation and it remained that way through two overtime sessions, forcing the shoot out.

The Ponaganset goal in regulation came from Danny Keefe, and the Broncos score came from Cody Lavallee, both in the second half.

In the shoot out, the Chieftains got scores from Brandon Knox, Alex Blanchard and Kyle Blanchard.

Ponaganset, the division's eighth-seed, advanced to play top-seeded West Warwick.

The Chieftains' season ended in the quarterfinals when they fell to top-seeded West Warwick, 6-1.

The Wizards wasted no time getting the upper hand, scoring four first-half goals to take a 4-1 lead and then coasted.

Brandon Knox had the Ponaganset score.