Fairy tale season ends for Jenks

Fairy tale season ends for Jenks

PAWTUCKET - They were undefeated and the champions of the Eastern Division, but that all ended on Saturday when the Jenks Middle School boys soccer team dropped a heart-breaking 3-1 shoot-out decision to Curtis Corner of South Kingstown in the state semifinals at Classical High School, ending their season.

In the round of eight, it took double overtime plus a 10-round shoot-out for the Jenks boys to claim a 2-1 victory over Feinstein in the quarterfinals last week.

The game began under the sun with a brisk wind, turned to darkness and finally ended under the lights in Jenks' favor. It also put a lot of stress on the sidelines.

"This was one of the worst games we have played," Jenks head coach Carlos Vieira said. "We played an excellent team that put up a good fight. It could have gone either way."

The Jaguars came in with home-field advantage being the higher seed hosting the Central division's second seed Feinstein, which finished out the regular season with a record of 8-2-2.

"Feinstein only has five 8th-graders," Jenks assistant coach Harris Nachbar said. "They played excellent defense and were aggressive. But our guys stepped up without our top defender."

Being down a defender, the Jaguars put Devon Silva in the back field. Even on defense Silva played a pivotal role in the game and scored the tying goal to put the game into overtime. After a scoreless first half, Feinstein's Nick Mitchell scored to put Coventry ahead 1-0 a quarter of the way into the second.

"Devon scoring at the end to tie the game, it was an exceptional shot," Nachbar said.

Vieira added that without their normal defender, Silva was placed on defense that left the midfield open but commended Silva's play.

"Devon did excellent," Vieira said. "He knows what he is doing."

Feinstein kept the Jaguars scoreless through almost two full quarters. When things looked dire and not much time remained, Silva came through with a wicked shot that went sailing into the corner of the net by the goalkeeper for the 1-1 tie. Feinstein got the ball back as the whistle sounded to end regulation.

The Jaguars started the first five-minute overtime with the wind in their favor but they could not put the ball in the net. Andrew Mendes sent a nice pass up to Curtis Brown, who's shot was just wide of the goal. The Jaguars were not able to score but did keep possession through most of the period.

Feinstein had more opportunities to handle the ball in the second overtime but Jenks' defense did a good job getting the ball out of play instead of letting it near the net that would eventually force a shoot-out as the sun set.

Jason DeAmaral, Jenks' goalkeeper, gave the Jaguars a step up in the shootout blocking Feinstein's first shot. Brown was Jenks' first kicker and he got it past the keeper for the point. The next three kickers for both teams all scored as Jenks held the 4-3 lead. Those scorers for Jenks were Lyelson Miranda, Silva and Joselito Rodrigues.

Feinstein tied up the points as they scored the next point but blocked Jenks' shot. As the shoot-out continued, the lights finally warmed up and allowed a better view of the goal. The next two kickers scored to keep it tied before DeAmaral made a nice save on Feinstein's seventh shot. The Jaguars could have sealed the victory on their seventh kick but that shot was also saved keeping both teams tied.

Three kickers later, DeAmaral came up big with another save to give his team a chance to seal the victory. The 10th player for Jenks, Rodry Alves, stepped up. With a breath he ran at the ball and sent it by the diving Feinstein keeper as his teammates rushed him. The Jaguars eliminated Feinstein with their 2-1 win.

"I still have a feeling, we have a chance to win it," Vieira said.

Curtis Corner finished atop of the Southern Division with a perfect 12-0 record. Not only did they finish undefeated but they only allowed three goals to be scored on them all season while scoring 50.