High-speed chase ends with crash in Cumberland

High-speed chase ends with crash in Cumberland

The wipers and lights are still on as police search a Volkswagen that crashed on Mendon Road in Cumberland after a high-speed chase last Thursday afternoon. The driver of the car was taken into police custody after multiple alleged crimes, including breaking into a home, stealing two cars, and shooting someone in the foot. (Valley Breeze photos by Ethan Shorey)
Suspect Ebiwa faces numerous charges

CUMBERLAND – A Woonsocket man, Michael Ebiwa, was arrested and charged with numerous offenses last week after leading police on a high-speed chase across the Blackstone Valley.

The chase started after Ebiwa invaded a home on Dexter Street in Woonsocket. He then stole a car and led police to Providence, where he carjacked another vehicle and shot a man in the foot, and finally ended with another crash on Mendon Road in Cumberland.

Ebiwa, 26, was arrested after the collision in Cumberland and faces charges from multiple jurisdictions.

State police have charged Ebiwa with carrying a pistol without a license or permit, alteration of marks of identification on a firearm, possession of a stolen motor vehicle, eluding a police officer, duty to stop at an accident with damage to attended vehicle, and operating on a suspended license.

Woonsocket police have charged Ebiwa with breaking and entering during the daytime hours, assault with a deadly weapon, and possession of a stolen motor vehicle.

Providence police charged Ebiwa with possession of stolen motor vehicle, carjacking, assault with intent to commit robbery, felony assault, possession of a firearm after a conviction of a crime of violence, using a firearm while committing a crime of violence with an injury resulting, and possession of a firearm without a license.

He is due in court on July 7.

Ebiwa, of 104 Sayles St. in Woonsocket, has a past criminal history that includes charges of driving on a suspended license and eluding police.

Woonsocket Police Sgt. Matthew Ryan said Ebiwa brandished a gun during the initial home invasion in Woonsocket. As officers arrived, they say he stole a Nissan and took off.

After a quick trip into Blackstone, Ebiwa evaded an attempt by North Smithfield Police to stop him on Rte. 146, said Ryan. He then traveled to Providence where he crashed the vehicle on Malbone Street. State Police said that Ebiwa then took another car from Oakland Avenue, this time by force. Ebiwa allegedly aimed his gun at the driver's head, but the man was able to push it away and was shot in the foot. Police say Ebiwa then stole the man's Volkswagen and headed back north to the Rte. 116 exit of Rte. 146 in Lincoln. With police giving chase, he headed down George Washington Highway, attempted to take a right at the end onto Mendon Road, and crashed the vehicle into a car and plumbing van.

With his car wedged between the van and a guardrail, police quickly took Ebiwa into custody. They say they recovered a gun, ammunition, a holster, duct tape and other items typically used in a home invasion.

According to Ryan, there were police from so many different communities involved that the Rhode Island State Police ended up taking Ebiwa into custody. Departments involved included Woonsocket, Smitfhfield, Cumberland, North Providence and Johnston.

State and local police officials said it was a fortunate occurrence that the only real injury during the series of incidents was the shooting in Providence.
Traffic was backed up for miles on Mendon Road after police shut down the intersection with Rte. 116 so they could conduct their investigation and get the accident site cleaned up.

An investigator pulls what appeared to be a cell phone through the window of the Volkswagen.
Rhode Island State Police Trooper Amoncio Dacruz takes down information from Dorothy Regan, of Rehoboth, Mass., after her car was struck by a vehicle driven by a suspect who was fleeing from police Thursday afternoon. Regan said she barely missed a head-on collision with the car as she was taking a left from Mendon Road onto George Washington Highway. The rear bumper of her car was torn off in the collision. Right after colliding with Regan, the suspect crashed into a van on Mendon Road.
Regan's car after the accident.
Members of the press interview officers from the Woonsocket Police Department following a high-speed chase that ended here on Mendon Road in Cumberland. The driver of the stolen Volkswagen at right was attempting to turn right at a high rate of speed when he crashed into a car and the van pictured.
A flatbed truck carries the wrecked car up Rte. 116 in Lincoln.