McColl YMCA opens summer camps
McColl YMCA opens summer camps
LINCOLN - The following summer day camp programs are offered at the MacColl YMCA, 32 Breackneck Hill Road.
The camps, many of which are held from now to Aug. 22, are ideal for children 4 and up that live in the areas serviced by the MacColl and Woonsocket YMCAs. The camp features a spray park and a large community swimming pool that features two water slides.
Free transportation is offered from the communities of Cumberland, North Providence and Woonsocket. The camp is accredited by the American Camp Association.
All campers experience swimming, arts and crafts and several outdoor activities, and there are specialty camps that focus on skills such as dancing and cheerleading. Camps run from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., and there is complimentary pre-camp child care, starting at 6:30 a.m., and post-camp care, ending at 5:45 p.m. The costs of the camps vary, and families can apply for financial assistance and sibling discounts.
Children between the ages of 12 and 15 are encouraged to attend the YMCA's Teen Camp. Unique and positive activities focus on different life skills such as critical thinking, communication and creativity, and attendees also participate in traditional camp activities.
Another program for children in the same age group is Explorers Camp. Campers travel up to five days per week to destinations throughout New England and participate in activities focused on developing positive behavior and responsibility in a group environment.
The following camps are open to children 9 to 11:
* Camp U-Go-To, which conducted with a wide range of activities guaranteed to expand a child's horizons. Children will work on the core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility and participate in sports, art, swim lessons and recreational swim.
* Camp Trailblazers, which focuses on outdoor activities such as fishing, hiking and camping. Campers travel to other outdoor venues, gain self-confidence, grow socially and learn to be a member of a team.
* Adventure Camp, which includes sports, drama, swimming and team building. Campers travel two days per week to adventurous destinations around New England.
Other camps offered at MacColl include:
* Camp Discovery for children ages 4 and 5. The camp combines activities in a climate-controlled indoor setting with the diversity of outdoor play experiences. Activities that help children grow socially include water play, arts and crafts, games and dramatic play.
* Sprouts Sports for children ages 5 and 6. Attendees concentrate on basic skills for soccer, basketball, dance or cheerleading.
* Camp Care-A-Lot for children 7 and 8. Care-A-Lot allows children to develop social skills by participating in daily activities such as arts and crafts, progressive swim lessons, noncompetitive group games, recreational swim and spray park time.
* Camp Quest for children entering grades 1 to 5 that want to maintain what they learned during the school year while having a day camp experience. Quest runs from June 30 to Aug. 22, and a certified teacher conducts the academic portion of the camp.
For more information, call 401-725-0773 or 401-769-0791, or visit www.goymca.org .