Mother dies after carbon monoxide poisoning

Mother dies after carbon monoxide poisoning

SMITHFIELD – A mother of three was pronounced dead on Sunday at Fatima Hospital as a result of complications from carbon monoxide poisoning, a detective with the Smithfield Police Department confirmed.

The woman is identified as Kristen Latour, according to numerous reports. She leaves behind her husband, Lawrence, and their three children.

The family was rushed to the hospital around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 15, due to complications resulting from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The children, ages 7, 9, and 11, were inside with their mother when the father, who was in the garage, entered the house to find them all unconscious. The father then called 911, according to authorities.

The children were taken to Hasbro Children's Hospital and the parents were taken to Fatima Hospital. Smithfield Fire Chief Robert Setlzer said his department was told the three children are stable. The mother's condition was noted as critical up until news of her death.

Chief Robert Seltzer told local media that firefighters found initial carbon monoxide readings in the house of more than 700 parts per million, which is well over the standard 35 - 40 parts per million.

The investigation was completed as of Thursday, Feb. 16. The fire department confirmed the problem resulted from a failure within the heating system, which is powered by oil.
"It could be a lack of maintenance," Seltzer said.

The chief advised residents to properly maintain heating systems, chimneys, and alarms to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. This home did have carbon monoxide alarms, but according to Seltzer, there were no batteries inside.

Records show the home, on Pleasant View Avenue, is owned by the Greenville Library. Below is the public statement of the Greenville Public Library, given on Feb. 16:

"The Greenville Public Library would like to send our thoughts and prayers out to the family. It is an unfortunate accident, and we send them all our best wishes for a full speedy recovery. At this time the accident is still under investigation with the insurance company, and we are fully cooperating with the insurance company. We have no further information or comment at this time. Thank you."

Director of the library, Dorothy Swain, provided her own personal statement as well, saying, "I feel that the family is the most important consideration at this point. My thoughts and prayers are with them."

At a Town Council meeting on Jan. 17, Stephen Cicilline, president of the Greenville library's board of trustees, presented a plan for an egress/entrance and parking lot project that involved the Pleasant View Avenue property.

If the project were to be approved, Cicilline said, the owners of that home would be asked to vacate the premises so it could be used to provide the second egress and entrance to and from Pleasant View Avenue.

The library is in the process of applying for a grant from the Champlin Foundation for the project.