Station 1 will shut down Monday so mold issues can be addressed

Station 1 will shut down Monday so mold issues can be addressed

PAWTUCKET – Fire Station 1 on West Avenue will be shut down temporarily next Monday, March 20, as the city addresses mold issues in the building and officials try to determine the sources of that mold.

Emergency repairs and safety upgrades will be done during the closure, according to officials. They say the city will be served by the five remaining fire stations in the meantime. The estimated cost for the project is $338,000, if all goes according to plan, and the work should take about four to five months.

“Many of our facilities across the city were neglected over time and now require significant repairs,” said Mayor Grebien in a statement. “Thank you to our firefighters, residents, and City Council for working with us while we prioritize upgrades to these facilities.”

Repairs were completed at Station 6 on Newport Avenue earlier this year. During the months that Station 6 was closed for repairs, the community was still served well by the Pawtucket Fire Department, said Grebien.

Will Maher, president of the Pawtucket Firefighters Local 1261 of the International Association of Fire Fighters, called the mold issues at Station 1 “significant.” Several firefighters have filed numerous exposure reports “as they have been living in these conditions for some time,” he said.

The kitchen has mold growing in the cabinets, there is water leaking into the basement constantly, and mold is also growing in the living areas on the second floor, said Maher.

“These areas have been sealed off and entry is not allowed,” he said. “Some members have been assigned there for many years and feel that this has been a concern that is not new.”

Maher said firefighters “are grateful that the city is working to fix the problems with this station as well as others in the city.”

Lauren Greene, spokeswoman for Grebien, said repairs will include mold mitigation in the basement and on the second floor, repairs to the roof, and plumbing where leakage is happening. Workers need to locate the root cause of the mold, she said.

Officials are working out where the engine at Station 1 will be relocated to, said Greene.

Anyone who has an emergency should call 911. Do not report to the West Avenue Station.

Comments

So , neglected over time? It's over 100 years old!!! Yet you keep it staffed and wonder why people that work there are filling out exposure reports for mold and whatever? Don, you haven't invested in anything but that useless bat tower. Imagine if you spent 5 million on buildings in the city that actually house workers that actually work? You seem very upset with the firefighters. What happened? They didn't come to you on hands and knees saying please boss? Too bad your ego and feelings were hurt. Make them go out and shovel hydrants on the sidewalks that are required to be cleared by the people that live there. Make them shovel their driveways too!! Mold, flat roofs, leaking roofs, legionnaires disease, water in electrical fixtures. Who cares? Not me seems to be the resounding response over there

At least the matter is being addressed. If it's been going on for years, and other administrations did nothing about it, stop complaining that it's being addressed now. To me, firemen should shovel out hydrants if they can. Should be part of the job description.

Built in 1910 under the administration of Mayor Giles Easterbrooks to serve the developing Woodlawn area Replacing the Brown St Station. One of the first in RI to house motorized apparatus. Model T sized apparatus Maintainance by the city after construction Virtually none other than a few modernizations a firefighter from 1915 would see today what he saw in 1915. Roof leaks over 50 years single shower stall leaks from the early 60's water leaking into the basement from crumbling concrete leaking brickwork and leaking water tanks from trucks since early 70's Electrical system 1910 Windows and doors replace with aluminum early 60's replaced back to wood 1999 original wood rotted away from lack of maintenance, restoration grant for hundreds of thousands for windows doors and landscaping interior work NONE some genius thought original doors were solid mahogany 3 doors $10,000 each condition today rotting off as originals did (originals Southern yellow pine) Heating system replaced 2011 Original system deteriorated due to water in basement CO level from system almost killed night shift not for 1 CO detector place in building by a station Captain Ms Greene Root cause of mold read above Hopfully not another $100,000 paint job like Station 6 (only cost 100grand to build station 6) Current apparatus barely fits (new truck specially built to fit on order for higher cost) EMS unit no decon area crew uses Kitchen sink for decon after calls. No building climate control rotted floors crumbling plaster When will the bleeding stop needs to be replaced. Did the city notify past employees of the heath and safety conditions Im sure not Former Station 1 Officer, Current Chief Wil Sisson Comment from Chief in article, None. SHOCKING