Visit Lincoln’s one-room schoolhouse and Quaker meetinghouse Saturday

Visit Lincoln’s one-room schoolhouse and Quaker meetinghouse Saturday

LINCOLN – On Saturday, June 16, travel back 150 years to get a glimpse of Lincoln’s early education and house of worship when two historic sites along Great Road open their doors between 10 a.m. and noon. Recommended visits are ½ hour each. Admission is free, but donations are welcomed.

The Pullen’s Corner Schoolhouse is located next to the new Visitors Center at Chase Farm Park, 671 Great Road. The Saylesville Friends Meetinghouse is located at 374 Great Road.

At Chase Farm Park, step inside the newly-restored Pullen’s Corner Schoolhouse, an 1850 one-room schoolhouse, and experience what school was like for the farm families of Lincoln. Using authentic 19th century textbooks, slates and chalkboards, children and adults are invited to try their hand at penmanship lessons, solve some riddles and arithmetic problems, and read stories from antique readers used by school children during the 1800s. The schoolhouse was originally located at Angell and Whipple Roads, but was relocated to Chase Farm Park where it joins other town-owned historic sites all of which are maintained and operated by the volunteer organization, Friends of Hearthside.

Down the street, a modest gray clapboard building that is the Saylesville Friends Meetinghouse, opens its doors to all for a monthly book swap. The Friends Meetinghouse has been in continuous use since it was built in 1703. Visitors are invited to learn about the Quakers, their role in Lincoln, while viewing the historic building and its adjoining burial ground where many of the Arnold family and the earliest residents of Lincoln are buried.

This combined opening is the first of the monthly events that the two sites are planning. Future openings this summer are on Saturday, July 21 and Saturday, Aug. 18. An additional opening of both will occur on Sunday, July 22, when the town of Lincoln and Friends of Hearthside invite the community to major event to commemorate the completion of the schoolhouse and Visitors Center at the Summer Celebration at Chase Farm Park.

For more information, contact Hearthside at 401-726-0597 or visit .

For more information on the meetinghouse, visit .