Former treasurer of Junior League admits to stealing more than $125,000

Former treasurer of Junior League admits to stealing more than $125,000

FOSTER - Kimberly Moore, 49, of Glocester, pleaded no contest Wednesday to embezzling more than $125,000 from the Junior League of Rhode Island.

Moore was sentenced by Superior Court Justice Susan McGuirl to a total of 18 years, with three years served in home confinement and the remaining 15 years suspended with probation. She was ordered to pay $76,159 in restitution to the league with an additional $50,000 toward two insurance companies.

Prosecutors say they were ready to prove that Moore embezzled approximately $126,159 from the organization's accounts.

Moore began siphoning money from a Junior League business checking account in September of 2012. She covered her theft by transferring money into another checking account from two investment accounts owned the organization.

Moore then set up a phony account in the name of the Junior League and began depositing all money collected on behalf of the organization into the account.

As she was embezzling funds, Moore paid all bills from the phony account to hide the theft.

League officials noticed the missing money in December of 2014 and reported it to Rhode Island State Police. Police conducted a forensic audit to uncover Moore's criminal actions.

"The Junior League of Rhode Island has long enjoyed a tremendous reputation as an organization that is dedicated to promoting volunteerism and making a difference in our community," said Attorney Gen. Peter Kilmartin. "The actions of Kimberly Moore are in direct opposition to the mission and goals of the organization."

Kilmartin said Moore was entrusted with ensuring the league had the funds to "better the community, and yet she cared little about the good work those funds would do to help people less fortunate."

The Rhode Island State Police Detective Division led the investigation while Assistant Attorney General and Chief of White Collar Crime Unit Paul Carnes prosecuted the case on behalf of the Office of Attorney General.