Consumers warned not to drink Miracle or Master Mineral Solution products

Consumers warned not to drink Miracle or Master Mineral Solution products

The Rhode Island Department of Health is advising consumers through a press release that they should not drink products marketed as Miracle or Master Mineral Solution, or other sodium chlorite products. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has received many reports that these products, sold online as “treatments,” have made consumers sick.

The FDA first warned consumers about the products in 2010. However, they are still being promoted on social media and sold online by many independent distributors. In addition to Miracle and Master Mineral Solution, other product names are Miracle Mineral Supplement; MMS; Chlorine Dioxide (CD) Protocol; and Water Purification Solution (WPS). When mixed according to package directions, they become a strong chemical that is used as bleach.

Some distributors are making false – and dangerous – claims that Miracle Mineral Supplement mixed with citric acid is an antimicrobial, antiviral, and antibacterial liquid that is a remedy for autism, cancer, HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, flu, and other conditions. There is no research showing that these products are safe or effective for treating any illness.

Websites selling Miracle Mineral Solution describe the product as a liquid that is 28 percent sodium chlorite in distilled water. Product directions instruct people to mix the sodium chlorite solution with a citric acid, such as lemon or lime juice, or another acid before drinking. In many instances, the sodium chlorite is sold with a citric acid “activator.” When the acid is added, the mixture becomes chlorine dioxide, a powerful bleaching agent. Both sodium chlorite and chlorine dioxide are the active ingredients in disinfectants and have additional industrial uses. They are not meant to be swallowed by people.

The FDA has received reports of consumers who have suffered from severe vomiting, severe diarrhea, life-threatening low blood pressure caused by dehydration, and acute liver failure after drinking these products. In general, the more concentrated the product, the more severe the reactions.

If anyone has a negative reaction to one of these products, they should consult a healthcare professional immediately.

For general health questions, contact the Health Information Line: 401-222-5960 / RI Relay 711 or visit