LINCOLN – The town of Lincoln and the Friends of Hearthside will offer tours of the Great Road Heritage Campus at Chase Farm Park on Sunday, June 13, including the Hearthside House Museum, Moffett Mill, Hannaway Blacksmith Shop and the Hot Potato Schoolhouse.
The town of Lincoln separated from Smithfield 150 years ago this year. On Sunday the doors reopen on the Great Road Heritage Campus at Chase Farm Park as visitors are welcomed to step back in time and learn about the history behind some of Lincoln’s most treasured historic sites that have been around well before the town was even formed.
The tours include:
• The Hearthside House, on Great Road, will host fully guided tours given by docents in period attire. New history has just been uncovered with the discovery of a rear entrance door, which has now been included with the tour of the restored library as it once was when the home was built in 1810. Guided tours begin at 1 p.m. with the last one at 3:30 p.m. Limited group size for slots every half hour. Tours last an hour and 15 minutes. Admission is $12/adults; $5 ages 10-17; free for Hearthside members. Tickets are sold in advance online at www.hearthsidehouse.org . As an option to the museum tour, an exterior architectural history tour is offered for those wishing to stay outdoors. That tour is scheduled for 12:30 p.m. and group size is limited.
• The recently restored Pullen’s Corner Schoolhouse at Chase Farm Park, also known as the “Hot Potato” School. A craft activity will be available for children. The cost is a $5 donation per family. Advanced registration through the website is also suggested because of limited space in the schoolhouse. The schoolhouse is open between 12:30 and 4 p.m.
• The Moffett Mill will be open for tours for the first time in more than a year. This relic from the early Industrial Age, which was built in 1812 and appears to be “frozen in time” from when it closed in 1900, sits along Great Road and the Moshassuck River at the edge of Chase Farm Park. It is only accessible by shuttle van, which leaves continuously from Hearthside and Chase Farm Park between 1 and 3:30 p.m. for visits lasting 20-30 minutes. Admission is included in the fee for the Hearthside Museum tour, or for a $5/person fee if only the Mill is visited. Advanced registration is also available on the website because of limited space.
• The original Hannaway Blacksmith Shop will also be open for demonstrations at the forge which takes place between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. Admission is free and there is no need to reserve in advance.
For public safety, those who are not vaccinated are asked to wear face masks.
Great Road and each of the properties are listed on the National Register of Historic Places as one of the earliest roadways in the country. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 401-726-0597.