CUMBERLAND – The roof at Dave's Market on Diamond Hill Road in Cumberland did not collapse Friday morning as rumored, said Chief Nicholas Anderson. It is now reopened to customers.
According to Anderson, the reason fire trucks were on the scene Friday morning was because a piece of heating insulation came out of one of the heating units in the ceiling and was burning, causing a smell. The monitors were able to detect some carbon monoxide, he said, and staff evacuated and ventilated the building.
Upon further investigation, it was learned that both the smell and the carbon monoxide were due to the burning piece of insulation, said Anderson. The reason fire personnel were on the roof was to make sure no snow or ice was blocking the ventilation systems, said Anderson, and all was found to be clear.